Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lekh Lekha...


So after almost four months on hiatus I'm finally back and able to dedicate the time necessary to sharing once again a few words of Torah, education, and life.

There is a Yiddish phrase, "Mench tracht and G-t lacht"..."people plan and G-d laughs".  Well, I have certainly planned plenty in my lifetime, so my guess is that I am keeping G-d laughing and hopefully smiling at the same time.  It's nice to know that although I never thought of myself as a "funny" person, I now have the opportunity to imagine G-d laughing probably keeled over in pain (or maybe even ROTFLOL) at my many attempts to "plan."

But then again, what if what I think might be planning is actually me "listening" to G-d and following that inner voice that guides my moral and ethical compass?

In this week's Torah potion G-d tells Abram (later renamed "Abraham"), "Go forth from your homeland, from the place where you were born, from your father's house, unto the land that I will show you."  What if we are all at some point given this same directive from G-d?  Maybe for us it is not so direct and transcendent, but what if every one of us has our "lekh lekha" moment?

I have had the pleasure and opportunity to have lived in a number of different communities in my life, in fact some of these communities have spanned different continents representing a number of different countries.  It is this nomad'ishness that people often find disconcerting and worrisome; however, for me I often see it as a blessing, certainly an opportunity, and maybe even based on this week's parshah my "lekh lekha" moment?

Have a wonderful week and I'm glad to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment